Buying a New or Used Car Interstate
If you’re planning to buy a car interstate, you’ll want to have, at least, a fair understanding of car transport prices and rates so that you can find a good deal on having the vehicle delivered to you.
Unless you’re planning on actually visiting an interstate dealer, and driving the vehicle back yourself, you will need to use a car transport service.
Quick Guide to Purchasing a Vehicle Interstate
Here’s a quick step-by-step guide to help you buy an interstate vehicle and have it delivered to your home.
- Find and purchase your vehicle. First, you’ll need to find a vehicle to purchase out of state. You can use online car shopping services like Carsales.com.au or other Internet sites to shop for a new or used car. Once you have found a vehicle you like, you would need to arrange for financing or submit a payment directly to the seller.
- Perform a VIN Check. Obtain the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and purchase a CarHistory Report to get the car’s complete history (your VIN number can be found on your engine, on your registration papers and sticker, or on the inside of most car doors).
- Find a car transport service. After you arrange to purchase a particular car truck, you’ll need to find a car transport service to have the car shipped to you. You can find many companies that offer shipping services by visiting Car Transport Services. There you’ll be able to request quotes from multiple companies that will offer to ship your vehicle.
- Select the shipper. Once you receive a set of quotes, simply choose the offer that best meets your needs and contact the carrier directly.
- Arrange shipping. After you’ve chosen a carrier, give them information about the location of the vehicle, the sellers name and address, and any other special information that may be required to pick up the vehicle. The carrier will probably require that you put up some sort of deposit as well as fax, scan or e-mail an authorisation to pick up the vehicle.
- Wait for delivery of the vehicle. Once the carrier has received your payment and authorisation information, they will contact the seller and arrange pickup of the vehicle. The carrier will schedule a date and time to pick up the vehicle from the seller and send it on its journey back to you.
- Arrange for pickup of the vehicle. The shipping company should contact you and inform you that the vehicle has been picked up. Once they do, they will give you a scheduled arrival date for the vehicle and help you arrange for the time and place of transfer of the vehicle.
- Pick up the vehicle. When the vehicle arrives, you will meet the driver or representative of the shipping company. You will probably be required to do a visual inspection of the vehicle and make sure that there is no damage present. Once you’re satisfied that the vehicle has not been damaged, you will sign some paperwork and receive the keys for your new vehicle.
How New Car Shipping Prices Are Calculated
If you intend to buy a car or truck from a dealership that is hundreds or thousands of kilometres away from you, you will need to consider how car shipping prices are calculated before finalising the deal.
There are several factors to be considered when trying to determine how much the shipping of the car will cost.
What follows is a quick guide that will help you with the information required to calculate shipping prices.
Distance of the Delivery
The most important factor that will be considered in calculating the cost of transporting a vehicle will be the distance the vehicle must be delivered.
Generally speaking, the further away the vehicle is, the more it will cost to have it delivered to you.
Therefore, always try to shop for vehicles in an area as close to your home as possible.
Type and Size of the Vehicle
One element in determining how much the shipping cost for the vehicle will be is the type and actual size of the vehicle.
Larger vehicles weigh more and will increase the amount of fuel consumed by trucks used to deliver them.
The heavier and larger a vehicle is, the more expensive it will be to ship.
How will the Vehicle be Transported
Another factor that can add additional cost to shipping a vehicle is how the car will be handled and stored during transport.
Most of the time, cars are delivered on open air car trailers that are able to safely transport between 6 and 12 vehicles depending on their size and type.
You can have a vehicle shipped enclosed within a container to provide additional protection. You should know that shipping a car or truck inside a container will generally add another $500-$1000 to the delivery charge.
Considering the Cost of Car Shipping Services
While you might be able to save a lot of money purchasing a used vehicle that is not in your area, prices for new cars tend to be a lot more competitive.
Before you start arranging the shipping of a new vehicle across the country, you should make sure that new car dealerships in your area cannot match the price that you have been offered by the far off car dealership.
More often than not, you will find that new car dealerships in your area can come very close to the price if they want to. Even if the vehicle is far away, a low price at an interstate dealer will help largely offset any shipping expenses you may incur.
You should know that depending on the type and size of the vehicle and the distance the vehicle needs to be transported, shipping a car new car can cost between $600 and $3000. So, unless the amount of money you’re saving is at least this much, then shipping the vehicle from a faraway dealership is probably not really worth it.
You should also consider that many things can happen when transporting a vehicle interstate.
For example, the car may be damaged or neglected by the carrier.
Or, worst still, the car transport company just doesn’t seem to care about looking after your interests.
Also, it can take a couple of weeks to have the car delivered, so if you can, buy the car locally.
Other Transport Rate Considerations
In some cases, going with companies that charge really cheap transport rates can have a number of associated problems.
You may need to drive up to two or three hours to a distant depot or shipping yard to retrieve your vehicle. This means you have someone drive you to the site, or you may have to rent a car to simply go and pick up the vehicle.
If you need to transport a vehicle to any part of the country, it’s easier than you think and probably more affordable too. Find out by getting a quote online.
Therefore, always be diligent in your research of a car transportation services offer to you. There is usually a reason why some carriers are much cheaper than the other companies.
Need a Quote?
Let’s Get Started
What type of vehicle do you need transported?
100% FREE. No obligation. No account needed. Privacy assured. Personal details are only used for the purposes of obtaining quotes.